This week I am trying to live on five pounds for a week (monday to friday) for food. You can learn about this by going to my previous post. We are now at the half way point so what am I thinking. Well mainly I am thinking…hungry, hungry.
I have managed to stick to the budget but I do have some thoughts about this which you should be able to hear over my rumbling tummy!
- Finding and choosing food takes quite a while. Instead of a bank note and ‘give me that please’ it is a matter of scanning the shelves looking for the tightest price you can. This often means really bad value as the only packs I can afford are the smallest ones so I can buy something but the amount I get is tiny compared to what could get if I had more money for the same item such as Pasta.
- Variety. I am already bored of a meat free diet of mainly bread and pasta.
- Vices. I do not smoke or drink much alcohol which is great since I can afford neither. The lack of caffine is getting to me too.
- Size Matters. I am not a small fellow, at about six foot and two eighty pounds in weight it needs more fuel for my engine!
- Reduced Rack. Major supermarkets reduce the cost of food in the late afternoon and evenings and you can get some really good deals with items dated that day for consumption being some 80-90% off their normal prices. I just have to time it correctly and get in first!
- Work and Temper. I am starting to feel a bit cold while sitting at the computer and I have a lot less desire for complex tasks than normal plus my mood is not great as I am constantly hungry.
- Avoid the urge to eat once a day. Spread the food, do not eat it all at once. Made that mistake!
More on Friday…roll on the weekend!